Friday, April 29, 2005

Life as a Scopie Mod...

So whether you know it or not, I’m a moderator at the scopetech forums. There are 6 other moderators, Oubipaws, Phatlip12, KF, Treymac and Shane (now an admin) and scotto est blotto, along with admins, Ashley and danhuard. It’s tough. I may not have the highest post count there, but that’s because I have to read through most postings to ensure nothing goes wrong, so because of that, I hardly really give my own input into threads because I would just move on to check another forum or keep tabs on a certain poster. It’s been pretty rough considering Mr. Huard has been spending most of his time on episode 4 of the broken as well as helping get systm off the ground. As a result, scopetech has been suffering due to lack of new material on the site, but can you blame him? He’s been so busy that it’s hard to see how he was able to get done what he has already.

Recently the scopetech site and forums were complicated by a hacker. While, from what I understand, this wasn’t any “1337 h4x0r” but rather a guy who was just bored. It was pretty sad to see this happen considering the site is so new. Imagine, was it not for backups, scopetech would have to start over from scratch.

After listening to the first episode/podcast of TROTSS, I’ve gained a new respect for Mr. Huard and Mr. Rose. With the broken, systm, scopetech, digg, girlfriends and this thing we call life between them, sheesh, give ‘em a break. While it was very much surreal to get to interact with Dan, (I haven’t had the pleasure of speaking with +krose yet) I’ve spoken (online) with him as a regular person, in a mature manner. People, don’t hound these guys when you might get the chance, sending the PMs and whatnot (though that’s disabled on the forum) you catch my drift. While I’m merely a moderator at scopetech, I’m also a human and so I understand that people want to talk to these guys. I’m working on some ideas to pitch to Mr. Huard concerning scopetech, because I’ve quite literally been there since day 1 and want to watch it grow even more.

February 28th was when it went live, so the site isn’t even 2 months old as of this writing. Please, do join the forums and participate, we want your input, and if you don’t have anything good to say, heck, still pass on by, if anything, we have a great group of moderators that will surely put you in your place. One thing that has been so annoying is the lack of respect people have, especially when it’s given to them! I know I’ve reached the epitome of infamy as a moderator when I get the obscene comments. Speaking of which, I suppose I should turn off anonymous commenting on the blog, but for the few people that comment and don’t have a blogger account, that’ll surely be a bummer for them and me alike. I love getting your comments, be it your agreeing or disagreeing with me, praise or constructive criticism, note, constructive. “u suk” is not constructive.

It’s sad to see that so many children and trolls like to come on to the forum, really it is, but that’s why I’m so glad to be a moderator, because if the quality of the forum isn’t good, I have but myself (and 7 other staff members) to blame. Scopetech is in no way, controlling or manipulative on the forum, we encourage people to say what they must, albeit, provided they can say it in a civilized manner. We’re not “nazi mods” and when we lock a thread or edit a post, it’s because you’ve done something extremely stupid and/or disrespectful. Doing that stuff takes effort and we let a lot of things go by, but we’re not pushovers and our lenience DO have limits. I’m not a bad person, I don’t do things irrationally, so please, don’t criticize when your corrected, simply humble yourself, besides, there are quite a lot of intelligent people over there who will be sure to let you know how stupid you look.

I’ve posted this to just give you a piece of my mind thus far, concerning my time at scopetech, as a member of staff and to let you know what it’s like. If any of the other staff members do the same, I’ll be sure to pass the link on to you. Also, as far as I know, scopetech is the ONLY OFFICIAL FORUM FOR THE BROKEN AND SYSTM. So get to posting!

-sam

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, You have a blog, mod for scopetech, admin for viewerspick. I feel lazy compared to you.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Phatlip12(administrator) said...

Phatlip12:
Nice article Samureye. I myself love being a moderator at Scopetech. It can become kind of stressful sometimes but at the end of the day it is a great experience. I myself am a writer for two tech sites and have a blog of my own (not to mention other things going on in my personal life) so it can get a little crazy sometimes.But again it is all fun by the end of the day!;)

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more with that post, excellent article. Scopetech can be a little crazy at times like Phatlip said, but being a moderator is a great privelage.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

yeah samureye you do great work in the scopetech forum!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home