Wednesday, November 10, 2004

G4TechTV - My Take

Okay, I will admit, I miss TechTv, I really do. G4 is not that bad in any case. I don't know why people act so stupidly because of change. It's not that I myself didn't want there to not be a merger, but come on people, you can't possibly be so angry at change without giving it a chance. The merger of G4 and techtv was a good thing, regardless what anyone says. If it did not happen, both of the channels would gave perished.

G4techtv is a stupid name and some kid must have capitalized on making that name up. His mommy should be proud.

Maybe it's just me, but they should have kept the techtv image. It seems to me that the whole "TV 4 gamers" thing is really isolating people from what they loved. TechTv was bigger, in terms of viewership, and you can't go change what people were accustomed to just like that. People will stop watching, plain and simple. So said, so done. Yes, I know now, because of the merger, G4techTv is now in "50 million homes" but you know what, I bet net even half of those 50 million homes have EVER been logged in to the channel at the same time, much less for the people deliberately watching the channel.

The whole "Look at me, we are trying to be MTV" thing is --- kind of cool, but more lame than anything. TechTv was real and G4 feels so superficial. Yes, the new "G-Spot" is kind of cool, but it seems that all they want to do is appeal the younger people, and I know for a fact that a lot of older people liked to watch TechTv. Especially older people.

This leads me to another thing, Leo Laporte. G4 firing Leo was the worst idea that they ever came up with. I could se the brainstorm session now
"Well, like, Leo is like...older and he like, is way smart...and well, like, he makes us feel that his smart image isn't good for the new MTV wannabe channel we want to be". I hate MTV and what G4 is trying to do. Leo WAS techtv. You can't fire MR. TECHTV, it just isn't done! Call for help was so great and informative that it's horrible that they got rid of such a show. Call for help was the epitome of what a tech channel should be and G4 will never get to that if not only by choice. I don't hate G4 and have nothing against them, but I’m just saying that the decisions they are making are so, well, whacked.

It seems like all they are really attracting is 9 year olds that watch because they see games and "games are cool!"

I'm not saying that 9 year olds aren't the only ones that watch, but they seem like the majority. I'm not making it up, the forums are overrun by idiots who can't type if their life depended on it. I would like to think that they are alternating between typing every other letter with their tongue and buttocks. *sigh* well at least there is some hope for Call For Help. G4TechTv Canada, which is separate from it's American counterpart is showing Call For Help 2.0 (YAY!) and Leo has already signed on to do a second season of it. He also says that prospects of the show Being picked up in the U.S seem good. I can only cross my fingers.


Tommy Tallarico is like a hate symbol of all who loved TechTv, don't ask me why, but he just is. I have nothing against the dude. I think he is cool. A vast majority of people did not like him or his review show and that animosity only worsened with the sacking of Mallys, who used to moderate at the G4techTv forums. I know Mallys, not personally, but from the forums. He is a very cool, well spoken fellow and he basically did what 90% of the X-Play forum inhabitants wanted to do - tell of Mr. Tallarico. One ting lead to another and now Mallys isn't a mod anymore. This lead squeakachu_31 to resign from his post. I respect him for what he did. Now everyone is with the whole "bring back Mallys campaign" but save it. Mallys isn't going to be a mod there and I think he was even banned. From the looks of things, Mallys seemed amused by the whole thing. Me, I could only say good luck to Mallys. I don't know what forums he may be on now, if any.

To all the "Tommyknockers", stop it. You don't know the man and you can't pass judgment on him. Only God can do that. Don't follow the crowd and hate on someone you don't know, that's not right.

The bottom line is that we may not be happy with everything that happens with G4TechTv and life for that matter, you just have to learn to live with it.



Ciao,



\samureye/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home